[haiku-development] How do we proceed with the dedicated server? [was: Re: Re: Expressing the purpose of a development mailinglist]

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:23:32 +0200

On 2009-08-13 at 15:39:26 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 09:04, Jorge G. Mare (aka
> Koki)<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > A choice has to be made on the service
> > provider and Haiku Inc. has to fork out the money for this to happen,
> > and I am not sure what the process is to make this happen.
>
> I'm hoping to put together some sorts of a yearly-expected budget,
> that can be displayed publicly somewhere, somehow.  But I'm
> indifferent as to whether or not that should hold up the upgrade.
>
> My reasons for this is simply the expected costs increase from WF to
> the dedicated service..  roughly $300USD to $900USD -- excluding setup
> fees.

So how shall we proceed with the dedicated server proposal?

I'd be all set for going ahead with the order (excluding domain transfers, in
order to not interfere with the alpha release) and starting the basic setup
once the server is available.

I would guess that we need a couple of weeks to ensure that all the different
services (and backup schemes ;-) work as expected, especially since several
people that have volunteered to help me with configuring the web services
will be busy with the alpha release, too (and I think the latter should be
our focus).
When everything is working, we can finally transfer the domain, which I think
should then belong to haiku inc. instead of an individual (the current owner
is Tyler Akidau).

cheers,
        Oliver