[haiku-development] Re: Hardware 3D....

  • From: Matt <laceysnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:46:22 +1000

The reason to focus on them is purely because they provide drivers for
other open source operating systems. Sure they're closed source, but
as a end user of any system I'd rather have fully supported hardware
than the source for alternative (often lesser) drivers. If they opened
up the specification it would indeed be a welcome move, but just
because they want to protect their information shouldn't be reason
enough to avoid their support altogether.

I don't mean to play down the work of the Haiku devs, truly their work
has been staggering - but I do tend to wince when I read that some
random old piece of hardware is now working well. Granted Haiku will
be better than pretty much all other OSs at providing a good
experience on old machines, but I'd expect 90% of the userbase to be
using more modern hardware.

Anyway, keep up the good work! I'm anxiously awaiting a realease, and
do my best to spread the word about the upcoming OS.

Matt