[haiku-development] Re: Haiku package management system implementation (was: Haiku package manager)

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 12:49:44 +0100

David Flemström David Flemström <david.flemstrom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> file collision checks (packages have their own isolated folders
> and cannot overwrite one another, ever) etc. can be skipped

Just to be clear (perhaps redundantly, my apologies upfront),
the idea of the packagefs is not to have each package mounted
separately, or even to force contents of any package into a
folder of its own. Merely a single packagefs mount, for all
currently installed packages.

The idea is to have a virtual directory structure, based on the
current set of packages - a runtime merge of all package content.
Separate from the boot filesystem, leaving it somewhat pristine.
Being able to show/hide packages almost atomically, in the file
system.

Populating and gatekeeping the collection of packages is a task
separate from the package filesystem, which is likely done by a
package manager not so unlike popular ones e.g. in Linux.

As package contents are merged, the packagefs would have to have
some simple strategy to deal with file collisions, but the respons-
ibility to avoid them would be with the gatekeepers: manager,
repository(-ies) and publisher.

> It seems like I'm not being taken seriously for some reason,
> and attempts are being made to simply dismiss what I've written.

Haiku has a history in its predecessor BeOS almost as long as that
of Linux. The system has some unique qualities that we wish to keep
and make the best use of. So we're a bit sensitive, probably overly
so, to people coming from other backgrounds, e.g. Linux, and suggesting
that the solutions that work well there would work just as well in
Haiku, when we feel there are unique traits, culture and facilities
in Haiku that should have priority over ease of porting e.g. an
existing package manager solution, porting e.g. Qt software, etc.

In short, don't give up, pardon our oversensitivy, learn the system
and the culture, find the implementation that hits the spot.

Regards,
Jonas Sundström. (aka kirilla)