[haiku-development] Re: Haiku package management system implementation (was: Haiku package manager)

  • From: David Flemström <david.flemstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 01:05:48 +0100

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Fredrik Holmqvist <
fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We try to embrace innovation, not hinder it. So avoiding using modern
> features because some OS'es are lacking is not going to be well
> recieved. If they are lacking they can either choose to emulate the
> feature or implement it. We want software that take full advantage of
> every part of Haiku OS where we can.

This, I can understand. It sounds reasonable, then, to use file metadata to
store package information with.

The whole thing is very hard to comment on, but to me it feels like a
> clunky app you'd find in Linux or such systems. A simple and elegant
> solution, which don't assume things on behalf of the user is probably
> more how I'd want it.

I might admit that I might have focused too much on *modularity* (by
essentially letting a package extend the installation system any way it
wants via hooks) and *lightweightedness* (by making the installation process
as bare-bone as possible) in my proposal , but not that I went in the other
direction. I must therefore differ to this claim.

As I said, this system is so simple that it could be implemented as a shell
script, and it was inspired by mobile package management systems in that no
persistence is needed for it to work (packages don't even have to be
installed to work; the user just drops a package in a folder and can
suddenly use the application that was in the package, integrated into the
desktop with an application menu entry and everything, and all installations
are volatile so that an application is uninstalled when its files are
removed because e.g. an USB stick was removed). But, I would of course like
to hear how it could become even *more* end-user friendly!

Might someone be interested in seeing a mock implementation (no pun
intended), written in BASH? I might create one if the disbelief in the
systems simplicity is great enough. :-)

Cheers,
David Flemström