[haiku-development] Re: Haiku package management system implementation (was: Haiku package manager)

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 16:31:18 -0500

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM, David Flemström
<david.flemstrom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Packages should be loosely coupled, to for example allow for Haiku
> distributions to change/exchange some packages while still keeping them
> compatible with all other Haiku distributions, or to allow for a company to
> release a product that is compatible with every Haiku installation.
> It should be extremely easy to create a package, even if you don't have a
> Haiku machine available to you.

With all due respect, how much time have you actually spent using
Haiku? The concepts outlined above and most of the rest of your
proposal seem to be very much going against everything Haiku's trying
to do. First off, while distributions are technically possible,
they're one of the very things we're trying to avoid like the plague,
and as such we're not going to go out of our way to try and make it as
easy to create them as possible. The fragmentation and other
associated issues of the many different linux distros is precisely one
of the things most of us dislike about the whole linux desktop
experience. Furthermore, crippling the package manager to easily allow
cross compiling is imo misguided at best since that would only result
in making it easier to build half-assed *nix ports that don't properly
integrate with the system at all. I might also note you really need to
look at the system in a bit more depth, many things in your proposal
are completely unnecessary (i.e. rescanning kernel drivers, as the
kernel already node monitors the driver directories and implicitly
knows when a new driver has been added as a consequence). Overall the
currently proposed design just seems to be way way overengineered for
all the wrong reasons.

Regards,

Rene