[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha discussion proposals

  • From: "Truls Becken" <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:13:25 +0200

Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/8/13 Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> About # 30 (Distribute as ISO that functions as LiveCD):
>>
>> Isn't the bigger issue here whether various programs and services
>> manage to run off a read only filesystem?
>>
>> Do many programs in the main tree have issues with this?
>
> Personally, I don't see a ton of value in a "LiveCD" that runs the
> software that Haiku is distributed with. I'm not sure it should be a
> blocker if they don't.
>
> IMO, what *must* work for a "successful" Alpha CD is a partitioning
> tool, and the installer. These are what people will need in order to
> easily get Haiku onto a partition somewhere, somehow.

Yes, for the first alpha, the only things that really have to work are
partitioning and installer.

I was worried that maybe some servers would be problematic (worst case
would be app_server), but after re-reading the thread about this exact
issue ("[haiku-development] Read-Only Problems" started by Alex), I
see that the issue is with individual programs and preferences.

One limitation will for instance be that you cannot change keyboard
layout to do the install.

So I agree this is not a top priority for Alpha 1, but I think it
should be sorted out for all included apps before R1.

Truls