[haiku-development] Re: HDA

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 22:40:04 +0000

pulkomandy wrote:
On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 07:18:13PM -0500, Sean Collins wrote:

The increasing buffer size is actually a feature. It happens because
media nodes are requesting it. Most applications use the
B_INCREASE_LATENCY mode, which does just that. We already hacked it so
the maximum buffer size is bounded, and it will start dropping samples
at some point, which it should not do. This mode is actually meant for
non-real-time audio, where you are for example saving things to disk.

HDA currently has a hard coded buffer size, and when it comes to gaming, the system increasing latency will be unacceptable in the event that Haiku gets a demanding 3d game if drivers emerge, I know it is a long way from here, but it is something to keep in mind for the future. Also, I have noticed a tendency for video/audio to fall out of sync during video playback. I think there are several tickets for this already however, I don't know if this is a decoder or a buffer issue ?

If that's a problem for you, then it should be fixed in applications to
use the proper mode, please report that to the affected application's
developpers. In the meantime, you can change the mode with Cortex.

Some of these things are hard to capture and document, so reporting them is difficult, also some of the apps are just flat abandonware. I also still think there is some needed optimization in the media server, kernel and driver interface that may need to occur. These are down the road issue regardless. I just broached the subject to toss a reminder out there. No shortage of things to do for the haiku devs right now.

Sean