[haiku-development] Re: HDA

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 18:16:29 +0000

pulkomandy wrote:

Which is why I'm working on the BeOS Archive project, trying to get
these opensourced and fixed. We don't want to keep using abandonware for
too long, and with the switch to x86_64 and ARM CPUs, these apps
will simply not run anymore.

the work on the archives and reviving old applications is greatly appreciated by the community.
/
/

Sure, the latency shouldn't get that high. But the media system is
behaving fine, it's just that there are problems in other parts of the
OS that makes it require such a high latency in the end. I mean, when
the mouse is freezing for several seconds, it's likely that the media
decoder also does. So we have to keep a buffer for that whole time.

There are de-muxing problems with video audio sync that look to be latency related, could be ffmpeg or mediaplayer issues to. Also, some of the drivers are a bit unstable at times. Many of them also lack full interface features and I still think there are memory related bugs for more then one or 2 of them, which may be adding to the problems. I understand what your saying about the issues with priority inversion and heavy tasking, my observations of some of those behaviors are that Disk IO and Network IO seem to be the likely culprits for both fairly often, not to mention of things like debugging tasks running in the background. Serial debugging does bad things as well. I have recently been disabling it on my system and the results have been rather surprising.

On the low-level buffer for the card, we may have less issues now. At
one point it was prompt to glitching even in idle situations, maybe that
has gotten better now and we should go back toreasonable buffer sizes.
AND make them configurable for those of you who want too small buffers
and live with the occasional glitch.

Does haiku make use of dma and other methods to transfer data down the pci lanes ? I wasn't sure how that worked in haiku. I would think just having a basic buffer size setting in the media prefs is plenty fine. No need to get super fancy.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and explain where things are at. Much appreciated

Sean