[haiku-development] Re: HDA

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:18:13 -0500

Stephan Aßmus wrote:
It could very well be not necessary anymore. The reasons could be improvements
in Haiku, or it could be we are all using faster computers. Also keep in mind
that nightlies have serial debugging enabled and the kernel is compiled in
debug mode, for the alpha as well (but no serial debugging by default, there).

In any case, ideally the driver would not hard-code the buffer size, *_/but
figure it out dynamically./_* I know it does depend on some factors, but maybe
not much else besides sampling frequency and bit depth. A settings file may not
be a bad idea, it can help users now, and it can also help in the future for
cases where the automatic buffer size mechanism fails for whatever reason, once
it has been implemented.

Best regards,
-Stephan

It sucks on windows, and for some reason currently haiku will adjust up automatically for some big buffer times. I think a default setting is good, and a panic adjustment is fine, but honestly, the less the system intervenes to make buffers longer and latter, the better. the bottle necks and performance issues should be adressed, not covered in buffer bloat.These threads should be handled at near the top of the priority heap, side effects from them not being so, generally aggravate users.

Sean