[haiku-development] Re: Google Code-In task ideas

  • From: "x-otic@xxxxxxx" <x-otic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 20:29:10 +0100

On 11/03/2011 06:18 PM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 5:22 AM, "Jürgen Wall"<x-otic@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
That's what I was looking for in vain when I got in touch with Haiku for the
first time. I believe it to be extremely helpful for interested developers
coming from the Windows world to have a hands-on step-by-step introduction.
Honestly it would probably be helpful for anyone, though maybe other
open source developers coming from the Linux world might be more
comfortable.
You're right, however windows folks need to be taken by the hand ;) At least in the beginning.

I once wrote a step-by-step very specific guide on how to build Haiku
on Ubuntu, and I think it proved pretty useful and popular (it has now
been outdated and superseded by other resources.)

But I think a guide on fixing a bug step-by-step (which will assume
the developer has already checked out and built Haiku) would be quite
helpful, and I'd be willing to work with you on that if you'd like
Jürgen. In fact I could just carefully document my process for fixing
a simple bug in the next week or so and then it could be expanded into
a how-to.
Sounds like a plan :D Agreed!
I'm also about to set up a new system and I can use that to help judge
just how good our current documentation is for setting up a Haiku
development system from scratch. I'll do it both in Linux and Haiku,
so can see both the cross-compiling side and the native side.