[haiku-development] Re: Google Code-In task ideas

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 19:55:45 -0400

Jürgen Wall wrote:
That's what I was looking for in vain when I got in touch with Haiku for the
first time. I believe it to be extremely helpful for interested developers
coming from the Windows world to have a hands-on step-by-step introduction.
Making success experiences easier to achieve and with less frustration could
make the potential devs feel more comfortable with Haiku development and
prevent them from throwing in the towel. In my opinion an additional part of
the mentioned walthrough should be debugging along with hints on where and how
to find relevant logfiles.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt but this approach might be worth considering.

 There could be 2 paths into Haiku

 One for Users "welcome to Haiku OS/How to" document

 One for developers "developers guide to Haiku OS" document

Each oriented at the intended audience. Clogging up user documentation with developer documentation, will just frustrate the users, and a dual approach document designed for both will likely frustrate and bore a developer.

Sean