[haiku-development] Re: Gathering info on ownership of ARM dev boards.

  • From: Richie Nyhus-Smith <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 01:00:08 +1200

Hi Ithamar,

Okay, I see you did quite a bit of work, and that's definitely
appreciated. However, I think it is quite early for the Haiku/ARM port, and
at the stage that we are at (and have been, for a _long_ time), I think a
simple table of SoC vendors and their chips would be much more useful.
Thing is, there's (less than?) a handful of developers that ever seriously
work on the ARM port, and with the speed that it is progressing, whatever
board is currently in use might be unsupported before we have user land
properly booting on any board. We're pretty much at the start where the
kernel boots up in minimal setup, and what is needed is more support for
one or more SoCs, without even looking at the boards they are running on ;)

I originally created the list with the focus being SoCs, but I swapped it
over to the boards because my knowledge of SoC compatibility is limited
(say for example, between Allwinner A10; A10S & A13). I added the "Status"
column so others can link to a compatible target to try and make up for
this.

Basically, the ARM port is currently a developer hobby project, and I
don't think any end-user should be making purchasing decisions on ARM
boards based on the _current_ support, unless they intend to help
developing the port ;-)

Sure, I intended the list to be only aimed at devolpers, contributors and
testers.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I really like the enthusiasm that people have
regarding Haiku/ARM, but there is a boat-load of work to do to even make it
remotely usable for anyone.

No that's fine. I wrote it for requirements analysis, which is a long term
process anyway [1]. (I already have set up a placeholder for ARMv8.1-A)

---
Regards,
Richard.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requirements_analysis