[haiku-development] Re: GSoC 2015 ideas list

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:27:51 +0100

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 09:47:46AM -0500, Augustin Cavalier wrote:
> On 1/20/2015 3:27 AM, Adrien Destugues wrote:
> >Finally, are there ideas we should remove from the list? I don't know if
> >they all are still relevant.
>
> Yes:
>
>  * "Integrate our PPP implementation" -- there is already a ticket in Trac
> with a very large patchset that completes most of this task, it just needs
> review/cleanup from someone who knows something about the PPP stack (Axel
> already reviewed it once, IIRC)

That patch is 10 years old and most of the affected code was probably
rewritten once or twice since someone last looked at it. Which is why
large patches are bad, and small commits should be preferred so the
"done" parts can be commited when ready, while other parts are still
being reviewed.

Even with that patch merged, we probably still need testing,
modifications to the new network preferences to include dialup settings,
etc.

>  * "Graphical project manager tool" -- KapiX and myself already have Heidi
> to a mostly-usable level, and with GCI over I'll go back to working on it.
> No need to duplicate efforts.

You mean you don't want a GSoC student working on Heidi? This would be
one way to achieve this. Nothing in the project idea says this should be
started from scratch.

(however, I think the "modular edit view" one may be partially done in
Heidi/Scintilla already).

>  * "Evaluate Qt as a potential Haiku R2 API" -- besides the fact that the Qt
> 5 port is being upstreamed as we speak (that's one of the things on this
> task list) I haven't heard from any Haiku developers who want this. (I
> don't.) At the very least, it should get a more formal discussion/vote on
> the ML before we have a GSoC student spend an entire summer on it.

There was a discussions 2 or 3 years ago. The conclusion was: "we can't
decide wether using Qt is a good or a bad thing without trying, and none
of the devs has time and motivation to do that. Let's make this a GSoC
project idea, so the student can evaluate and then we can make an
enlightened decision".

I think it would be a good idea to list potential/interested mentors for
each idea. We may notice that some ideas don't have anyone available to
mentor them this year, and in that case I see little point in listing
them.

--
Adrien.