[haiku-development] Re: GSoC 2015 ideas list

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:14:04 +0100

On 01/20/2015 03:47 PM, Augustin Cavalier wrote:
On 1/20/2015 3:27 AM, Adrien Destugues wrote:
  * "Evaluate Qt as a potential Haiku R2 API" -- besides the fact that
the Qt 5 port is being upstreamed as we speak (that's one of the things
on this task list) I haven't heard from any Haiku developers who want
this. (I don't.)

I do. Large parts of the BeOS/Haiku API suck, are horribly incomplete, or could use some dusting off e.g. wrt. newer C++ standards. Looking at the progress of our project in the past, it should be clear that we simply don't have the man power to do that. Therefore evaluating alternatives is a very sensible thing to do.

And please do not confuse an evaluation of this option with any kind of decision on the topic. Even if the project is successful and using Qt results in a smooth user and developer experience, we can still decide to take another route. Other alternatives -- even other languages -- can be explored as well.

At the very least, it should get a more formal
discussion/vote on the ML before we have a GSoC student spend an entire
summer on it.

There has been some discussion in the past (the idea is not new at all), but feel free to start a new one. I don't see why we would need a formal vote for a project idea, though. In fact our GSoC isn't so much about the particular project -- we have accepted projects with little to no immediate benefit to Haiku in the past -- it's about getting students interested in Haiku. A project the student is interested in and a mentor is motivated to supervise is just the means to this end.

CU, Ingo