[haiku-development] Re: GSoC 2012 - x86_64 port

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:46:01 +0100

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 01:04:36PM +0000, Alex Smith wrote:
> I would like to propose an x86_64 port as my project, as this is
> something that will benefit Haiku in the long term and is a project
> that will be fun for me to work on. I am aware that this was a project
> for GSoC 2010 (and in fact if I was old enough to participate in GSoC
> at the time I would have applied!), but was not completed. However I
> believe it is a project that I am capable of undertaking, as my own OS
> has had x86_64 support for several years now. A complete port is
> likely not possible within the GSoC timeframe, but it should be
> possible to at least get the loader, kernel, some modules and a subset
> of userland working.
>
> Is this a project that would be suitable for GSoC? If so, I'll write
> up a more detailed project proposal with a plan of what needs to be
> done and a timeline. I have been investigating what would need to be
> done for the last couple of days, and set up a Haiku build
> environment.

The idea list for GSoC is not a closed one. We have had one successful
project for porting Haiku to ARM, and x86_64 could work as well.

> I have made a code contribution before, I helped Mike Smith (one of
> last year's GSoC students) debug a problem and made a patch for it -
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/7872. As a contribution relevant to my
> project I can fix the x86_64 toolchain, which I've found cannot be
> compiled at the moment.

That's a good start.
For proposals that are not part of the idea list, we expect you to show
us there is enough work to do for the whole summer, and that you have a
clear plan of what needs to be worked on, and how you plan to do it.

--
Adrien / PulkoMandy
Haiku GSoC Mentor