[haiku-development] GSoC 2012 - x86_64 port

  • From: Alex Smith <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:04:36 +0000

Hi,

I am a first year Computer Science student at the University of York
(UK). Operating systems are my main area of interest, and for the past
4/5 years I have been developing my own hobby OS project
(http://kiwi.alex-smith.me.uk). I have been following various other
OSes and been inspired by them, particularly Haiku, therefore I would
like to contribute something to it for GSoC.

I would like to propose an x86_64 port as my project, as this is
something that will benefit Haiku in the long term and is a project
that will be fun for me to work on. I am aware that this was a project
for GSoC 2010 (and in fact if I was old enough to participate in GSoC
at the time I would have applied!), but was not completed. However I
believe it is a project that I am capable of undertaking, as my own OS
has had x86_64 support for several years now. A complete port is
likely not possible within the GSoC timeframe, but it should be
possible to at least get the loader, kernel, some modules and a subset
of userland working.

Is this a project that would be suitable for GSoC? If so, I'll write
up a more detailed project proposal with a plan of what needs to be
done and a timeline. I have been investigating what would need to be
done for the last couple of days, and set up a Haiku build
environment.

I have made a code contribution before, I helped Mike Smith (one of
last year's GSoC students) debug a problem and made a patch for it -
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/7872. As a contribution relevant to my
project I can fix the x86_64 toolchain, which I've found cannot be
compiled at the moment.

If anyone wants to ask me any questions, I'm on IRC as xyzzy.

Thanks,
Alex