[haiku-development] Re: About GSOC-2012 idea IMAP as a Local File System

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:41:52 +0100

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 01:35:47PM +0530, anil kag wrote:
> Hi all,
>     First of all sorry if i have disturbed you, as i do not know about
> whether this is the right place for this type of discussions.

It's the right place. Welcome !

> MY QUERIES
> 1) Since there is no port of FUSE on Haiku(if it were then may be the
> solution was straight forward), Can anyone tell me is there any way of
> implementing this problem in USERLAND rather than KERNEL LAND, as user
> space implementation would be less error prone than the kernel one ??

We have something called "userland fs", which is very similar to FUSE.
Not only this is less error prone, it's also much easier because in
kernel land you don't get some of C++ and the API to work with. A driver
has rather big constraints that are likely not suited for something as
complex as the IMAP filesystem. Of course, it's up to you to research
both solutions and make a decision in your proposal.

> 2) About solving the BUGS, how should i go about it? As written in "
> https://www.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc/2012/students"; about the code
> submission to bug tracker, what kind of bugs i can look at, so that it can
> help Haiku to acknowledge my technical skills??

Our bug tracker is at http://dev.haiku-os.org . There are a lot of bugs
listed in there. We don't have any specific constraint on what you can
work on, just show us you are able to :
 * Navigate the bug tracker and select a bug you can fix,
 * Write and test a fix for it
 * Submit a patch
 * Make sure your patch conforms to the coding guidelines of the Haiku project

You don't need to write hundreds or thousands of lines of code, just
show us some of what you can do.

--
Adrien / PulkoMandy
Haiku GSoC mentor