[haiku-development] Re: File types

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 14:10:40 +1000

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ryan Leavengood wrote:
>
>> You could just change that file type on your local checkout to have
>> BeIDE as the default handler:
>>
>> src/data/beos_mime/text/x-source-code
>>

> Thanks Ryan, I did it that way.
>
>  Also, the following filetypes need to be added to text/x-source-code
>>>
>>> .e (Eiffel) and .rexx (obvious)
>>>

>> Done in r30978. I also added .rb (Ruby).
>>

> Muchos gracias. I wonder if anyone is likely to need fortran defined...

Rob, not an inflamotory comment - just an ironic observation.    It's
amusing to watch 2 email threads with conflicting design priorities.  In the
thread about W7 performance (on the Haiku mailing list), the general
attitude of the posters is that Windows has become slow due to all the bloat
added (someone's bloat is another persons requirement).  In this email
thread, we're adding filetype definitions (aka bloat), extending the
processing time required to identify files.  Fortran source files?  Are you
serious?  Under Haiku?

Once again, the reason I love Haiku is that the core developers have a very
sane approach to including what's commonly used by 80-90% of the user base,
while ignoring the kitchen sink stuff.  As long as you can add the
arcane/exotic stuff yourself, there should be problem.  Leave the Haiku core
lean/simple.

Disclaimer - I have nothing against Fortran (I used F77 to create an
electrical circuit/current calculator back in the late 80's), but it
shouldn't be part of Haiku core.