[haiku-development] Re: Emergency keyboard shortcut handler

  • From: Jan Klötzke <jan.kloetzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:58:24 +0200

"François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the attached patch series adds a emergency keyboard shortcut very
> > much like
> >  the
> > magic SysReq key under Linux. If you press Shift+F12+<char> then a
> > number of
> > different operations can be executed:
>
> Hmm most can be done from KDL but I suppose some ppl might find it
> faster.

The main intention is not that it's faster but especially for people with USB
keyboards because there's currently no way to use the kernel debugger for
them. Furthermore there is no sync command in KDL...

> Actually BeOS used SysReq also (Ctrl-AltGr-PrtScrn), even before Linux
> tried it.
> Is there a reason now we don't support the BeOS shortcut ?

Quite frankly I have no real BeOS background. Didn't know that it already used
this shortcut...

> > Shift+F12+s -> Sync disks
> >          +b -> reBoot
> >          +o -> Off (shutdown)
> >          +t -> dump Threads
> >          +l -> dump Locks
> >          +f -> print stack Frames from all CPU's
>
> Since it mimics Linux, why not use the same keys for same ops ?

No problem to change it. The emergency module itself is independent of the
used combination. The rationale was that as F12 is already used to enter the
KDL a similar shortcut should be used for these functions. Furthermore the
Linux shortcut doesn't work for Haiku in a Linux VMWare server. ;-)

But as BeOS already used the SysReq key too it might be a good idea to
actually use SysReq...

/Jan