[haiku-development] Re: Emergency keyboard shortcut handler

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:03:36 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-06-28 at 18:39:45 [+0200], André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:20, Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Is there any reason why this couldn't be moved into the
> > > input_server?
> > Of course there is! He wanted you guys to review his patch and see
> > if
> > you'd be interested in it at all :) So he implemented it in a way
> > that
> > could be easily disabled and debugged before mucking with the
> > bowels
> > of input_server :)
> I would settle for the more obvious reason that having this
> functionality
> in the input server makes it rely on a working input server, while in
> the
> kernel it will always work. Sounds like a reasonable approach for an
> "emergency" feature.

That depends, actually - if the input_server just locked up for some
reason, it would still work, but if it was closed, it will close the
devices with it, and therefore, the emergency keyboard shortcuts won't
work.

Also, it doesn't really sound like a good idea to make halting the
other CPUs optional; the KDL commands usually don't care about locking
(as they don't have to, and waiting wouldn't help either), and
executing them while some other threads might be busy on the same
structures is definitely problematic -- an emergency feature that
crashes doesn't really help.

Apart from that, I think it looks good. Of course, one could move it
into the input_server, but then you couldn't execute any KDL commands
either - but maybe a "listarea" is already helpful as well... :-)

Bye,
   Axel.