[haiku-development] Re: Distributed Version Control Tools (was Re: EDID Common Accelerant Fixes)

  • From: Maurice Kalinowski <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:00:06 +0200

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Duane Ryan <bailey.d.r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been using git-svn to check out the source, works fine.

That probably took quite a while the first time since Git was
importing all the revision history, right? Heck even checking out from
Subversion takes a while (especially across the Atlantic for those of
us not in Europe.)

You can always specify to sync the history from a certain point on (for instance current revision). In that case it is as fast (or slow) as using svn itself (http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html look at -r/--revision argument). Of course it is nice to have the whole history on your machine, but it takes 7 hours even in Europe :)

I for myself use git and have a repository which syncs regularly the svn, so I can push/pull my different branches all the time to it to work from multiple places. It works pretty decently, though I still use svn for the final commits then. But the git-svn connection is fairly stable and can be used without any problems at all.

Furthermore I considered once to start a port, though too many dependencies were missing at that point. Now with OpenSSL and further posix calls it might actually become much easier.

Possibly I can make my repo public, in any way I can help setting it up somewhere else, if somebody needs help.

Regards,

Maurice