[haiku-development] Re: Design for signed packages

  • From: Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 13:32:35 -0400

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Jonathan Schleifer <
js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 28.03.2014 um 17:46 schrieb Matthew Getch <getchmatthew@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Because of the current stage of the project and the direction that Haiku
> is going ("Haiku is a fast, efficient, simple to use, easy to learn...")
> security on this level shouldn't be addressed until we've met all of these
> design goals.
>
> Security is not a feature, but a thought process. You have to start
> thinking about it as early as possible and keep it in mind. We all saw what
> happened if you don't with Windows. It took them almost 10 years to get at
> least a little bit of security.
>
> --
> Jonathan

It's also something users don't care about...until after they are hit.
That's when they get upset. It's a thankless job. Many developers (open
source is not immune) are features oriented because they can show
something  now. It would be nice to see someone being proactive for a
change.