[haiku-development] Re: Design for signed packages

  • From: Matthew Getch <getchmatthew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 12:46:58 -0400

I feel I should introduce myself before I actually make a comment on the
matter, my name is Matthew and I'm a GSoC applicant who is relatively new
to Haiku.

I've been following the conversation for the last few days and feel that
it's premature to introduce and signed packaging into Haiku. In particular
the open source schema seems to almost reject the idea of any centralized
control over the source code, this modularity is one of the real powers of
open source projects and part of what makes Haiku so powerful. This
modularity must be brought to a certain point before it can resemble being
centralized, Haiku is close, but I would argue isn't cohesive enough to
truly capture this unification.

That being said, signed packages help ensure a level of authenticity for
those who are casually exploring Haiku and want to ensure they're getting
the best Haiku has to offer. That being said I don't believe that Haiku has
the ability to validate this user experience to the degree that those
looking for signed packages would want, so it comes down to a security
issue. Because of the current stage of the project and the direction that
Haiku is going ("Haiku is a fast, efficient, simple to use, easy to
learn...") security on this level shouldn't be addressed until we've met
all of these design goals.

Apologies if some of this stuff has been said before,
Matthew Getch