[haiku-development] Re: Demo CD

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:33:14 +0100 CET

"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> or b) have a zipped image that is loaded into
> RAM completely (in one continuous go) and
> used from there (if there is enough RAM).

Could that be done without having separate
kernels for cd and hd boot respectively?

> But FWIW Ubuntu takes several minutes to
> boot from CD here.

Yeah.. maybe a perfect CD bootup won't be necessary..

I hope to see Haiku eventually be ready to live in a
BFS image on a FAT-formatted USB stick.

If the image and an installer could be bundled up as
executables for Windows, Linux and MacOS X, that
would be a simple way to install and a nice first boot
without bad CD seek latencies. Just download the
Windows executable, plug in a USB stick, run the installer
(which copies the image over and adds a bootsector)
and then reboot into Haiku. (BIOS options have to be set
properly, but that is not any different from booting off CDs.)

We could preinstall on cheap USB sticks and pass
them out, sort of like what Ubuntu does with CDs.

/Jonas.