[haiku-development] Re: Demo CD

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 22:45:20 +0100 CET

> There is also the old BeOS PE technique of an image on disk which can
> be booted from, which I think Ubuntu has also experimented with. I
> would think Windows would be the primary system to deploy something
> like that on first.

That's on my list.

> >  We could preinstall on cheap USB sticks and pass
> >  them out, sort of like what Ubuntu does with CDs.
>
> That is an interesting idea as well, but could get expensive. Mass
> produced CDs are a lot cheaper than even the cheapest USB sticks.

We could however allow using a USB stick to store settings in a zip
file when booting from the CD, and store them back on shutdown.
I tried doing that for Zeta demo CDs, but due to a trick with
mountvolume (which needed app_server which wasn't yet started) I
couldn't use it.

> I also think it might be interesting to use Mini CDs for demos, if
> only to demonstrate how small Haiku is:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_CD
>
> They are 155 MB up to 210 MB, depending on density. That would be
> enough for a Haiku image with installer, a WebKit browser, and some
> other demos.

As long as it's not the rectangular ones, those are said to be quite
dangerous for hardware :)

François.