[haiku-development] Coordinating porting efforts

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:36:29 +0100

Hi,

I heard from Ingo that he is working on porting Perl 5.10 to Haiku. And I agree with him that we can't put all such ports into the Haiku repository. Yet the only ports outside of Haiku I was aware of were WebKit and OpenJDK, as featured on the Haiku site.

So, is there a chance we can at least keep track of who is working on what? Maybe on a Trac Wiki page? Of course it's not necessary to keep track here at Haiku that someone has ported SomeUnknownApp. But for tools and libaries like GNU autotools, Perl, Python, APR, Subversion etc., which are necessary for a self-hosting Haiku, I believe it does make sense to track what is already being worked on, what the status is, whom to contact to help and whether there is some public repository, in order to better concertate the various efforts.

On a similar matter, I recently asked whether there was a resource to share patches and build instructions for Haiku/BeOS software. The closest thing I've found myself is the BeBits Wiki with a few HowTos for BeOS, which are not so inviting to add to for Haiku given their age. Haikuware was said to get a Wiki but not so soon. Is there any other resource that is being or might be used short-term for this purpose? If not, would it make sense to set up e.g. a Google Code project (Wiki+SVN), or at least a (git?) repository per porting effort so that we can collaborate? My assumption is that this Haiku mailing list is probably not the best place to post and discuss patches to non-Haiku software. ;)

Thanks,

Andreas

P.S. I'm not on any Team, so if there's already some secret Haiku Inc. meeting to discuss this, don't feel stepped on your feet. :)