[haiku-development] Re: Coordinating porting efforts

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:36:00 +0100

Am 17.02.2008 um 13:21 schrieb Fredrik Holmqvist:

2008/2/17, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
One new problem with gcc4 and ports is that gcc reports the architecture
as haiku instead of beos.
It's also a bit confusing as gcc2 is still beos, so when doing gcc4
builds configure will almost always fallback to the default arch instead
of the beos alternative.

This does sound confusing, I'd vote for switching to reporting the same
architecture for both compilers. I'd probably favour -haiku and
documenting that this has changed (IIRC, we're not actually concerned
with exact source compatibility with BeOS anyway (header layout etc)?)

From what I've come to understand this is actually the case for the
compilers that are built when building Haiku. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The issue is that they're not yet cross-compiled for the image, and the sample UserBuildConfig therefore just unzips the BeOS gcc, which has -beos.

The new optional Development package currently just takes care of the libraries and object files but not of gcc.

There's also no easy way yet to setup a cross build environment on e.g. Linux, I believe Niels has created a ticket with a script and patches for that?

Andreas

P.S. Still haven't heard from BePorts btw, anyone else?