[haiku-development] Re: Changeset 26974 (cdda)

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:48:39 +0200 CEST

> Why not remove it and have them added during the transfers to media
> devices or during ISO creation?  Similar things have to happen for
> interoperability between current age file systems and old dos file
> systems already.  (i.e. When I copy music files to my COWON iAudio
> D2,
> I have to enforce that the file names are converted to something fat
> friendly.  Take the band ill Nino (it has special characters in the
> name), when I ripped the CD in Amarok, it kept all of the special
> characters as ext3 has no issues with those characters, but I had to
> have Amarok convert them before it transfered them to my D2 as the
> D2's file system couldn't handle the characters.)

But that's not a name issue, it's a file system issue, because the D2
filesystem is too dumb. There you need to have either invalid chars
stripped, converted to plain latin, or encoded in some way (there are
many). But it's an FS issue.
Where would you have this thing to put extensions back ?
In the VFS ? in each FS addon ?
What if you FTP the files off a BFS partitions to a linux box and they
don't have the extension ? You'll end up with something unusable.

You also risk of removing something which wasn't an extension (that is,
was added intentionally), and adding back something wrong.

François.