[haiku-development] Re: Banning

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 14:03:48 +0200

Hello,

I can see that this particular issue has been concluded in mutual agreement, but being the first demand for a ban I feel this is not only about one individual, whatever may have prompted this particular action.

Me too, I have been accused of having wasted the OP's time by posting a question on this mailing list that he felt obliged to answer (after having unsuccessfully searched the Internet). And obviously I cannot know in advance what emotional reaction a mail, including this one, may cause within the community.

Life can be full of surprises, good and bad. Education, job, moving, vacations, family matters are just a random selection of why one may be absent from a project for some time. Exactly when Alpha 2 is approaching I get network hardware failures and have trouble accessing the Internet, for instance. Funnily something else, I don't remember what, made me miss the final phase for Alpha 1 release, too. These things happen, and it doesn't need to be bad intention.

Everyone's time is precious. There are times when I can spend more time on my favorite projects; currently I have more than 100 unread mails on this list and thousands elsewhere. Yet the time for one person to read (or to mark as read) the mailing list shouldn't be an argument to stop anyone else from posting, it's rather an explanation for other persons not chiming in. When I have vacations and am actively working on my patches, I am much more likely to answer to mailing lists than when I get home late and tired from work. Statistics on accumulated posts merely show how much time and energy someone devotes to a certain topic, whatever someone at Google might claim. It's only natural that on certain topics you find a small group of active participants, and that original posters will likely reply more often in their threads. In the "State of ppc" thread I get a rating of 44.5% (8/18) - ouch!

So, however justified, the apparent threat of banning someone based on the subjective impression of wasted time and scientifically-sounding mailing list statistics mixed with personal feelings creates an atmosphere of fear that cannot be in the best interest of a 'No Future'.

Food for thought,

Andreas