[haiku-development] Re: Banning

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 15:15:41 +0200

Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Me too, I have been accused of having wasted the OP's time by posting
> a question on this mailing list that he felt obliged to answer (after
> having unsuccessfully searched the Internet).

Sure, we'll try to educate everyone to be as independent as possible
:-)
Asking questions is okay, but if the answer is only one Google query
away, it makes sense to point to that direction, because Google does
the job faster, and with less overhead.

[...]
> of active participants, and that original posters will likely reply
> more often in their threads. In the "State of ppc" thread I get a
> rating of 44.5% (8/18) - ouch!
>
> So, however justified, the apparent threat of banning someone based
> on
> the subjective impression of wasted time and scientifically-sounding
> mailing list statistics mixed with personal feelings creates an
> atmosphere of fear that cannot be in the best interest of a 'No
> Future'.

It's not about actual discussions with content. If you write 44.5% of
the mails of a thread, it is only a hint for a malformed discussion.
You always actually have to look inside to see whether there is a
problem or not.

We sometimes have heated discussions (just look at what Stephan and I
recently did when we discussed some coding style frustrations), but
despite the possibly even harsh tone, we always manage to bring forward
the discussion, and eventually find a compromise everyone can live
with. And those discussions are even total exceptions, mostly they
proceed very calm and civilized.

Any sort of discussion was simply impossible with Jorge, and this was
quite difficult, as he had strong and many opinions, and participated
in many discussions.

The "banning Jorge" thing was started because of the emotional drain
and otherwise damage he was causing with his outbursts and bad
mouthing. The fact that it took several years to come that far (ie. we
tolerated him for that long, despite several incidents causing other
people to leave their duties), and that this is the only time this has
happened in the 9 years of this project should tell you that no one has
an easy time proposing to ban someone.
It's something that shouldn't happen, and is quite sad, too. It's just
Jorge caused so much pain, irritation and ate so much motivation, that
obviously almost everyone came to the point of not being able to take
it any longer this time.

I know Jorge personally, and have stayed a few nights at his family
when I was in California a few years back. He's a nice guy, and I really
liked him. But despite that, I am not willing to work with him anymore;
even though he has often good arguments, the way he conveys them is
just impossible. Plus, the level of bad mouthing is really hard to take
after a while, and I really don't know what drives him there. While
it's sad that it came so far, I'm relieved he is gone.

Bye,
   Axel.