[haiku-development] Re: Anyone seen this - Vesa delay

  • From: Jan Klötzke <jan.kloetzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 18:01:45 +0200

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Zenja,
>
> Zenja Solaja wrote:
> > Morning / Afternoon / Evening.
> >
> > I just came back from a month away (Thailand is beautiful), and noticed a
> > weird quirk with what may be Vesa related.  When booting on real
> > hardware, just before the desktop appears (after all boot-screen icons
> > finish loading) there is a new delay which lasts approximately a full
> > minute.  During this delay, the actual PC speaker beeped 3 times, with a
> > frequency of one beep every 20 seconds or so.  After the 3rd beep, the
> > screen went blank, and 20 seconds later the desktop appeared.
> >
> > When changing screen resolutions, the same thing will happen again.  The
> > PC will appear as if its locked up (no mouse movement, no hard disk
> > activity), and beep once every 20 seconds.  On the 3rd beep, the screen
> > will go blank.
> >  After a final 20 seconds, the screen resolution will change, with the
> >  good
> > old timer to accept new screen resolution or cancel.  Yep, thats right,
> > even the timer got suspended for a full minute while waiting for the
> > video card to respond.
> >
> > I have an nVidia 8800GT, Vesa driver.  Before I went on a vacation a
> > month ago, this behaviour wasn't happening.  Latest revision displays
> > this weirdness.  I have noticed that some work has been done with the
> > Vesa driver to allow dynamic updates without reboots.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this before?

Just for the record... there's already a ticket for the problem: #2337. Looks
like quite a few people seem to experience the problem. :-(

> I know that Ingo is experiencing the same behavior. On my system, I just
> get "General System Error" when I try to change resolution (VESA also)
> during runtime. But I think if I have a vesa kernel settings file with
> anything different than the native resolution, my system does not boot. I
> am not sure, but I thought for the behavior you describe, there is a bug
> report, but I could be wrong.
>
> Jan, any ideas?

Unfortunately not really. I suspect that there is an error in the instruction
emulation part of the vm86 stuff which confuses the BIOS. Just a wild guess.
I was not able yet to reproduce it on any of my systems here.

What makes it really interesting and what is new to me is that you get
a "General System Error". Would you mind to enable TRACE_VM86 in
src/system/kernel/arch/x86/vm86.cpp and capture the output? Maybe I can spot
something there because the traces I've got so far did not contain anything
suspicious...

/Jan