[haiku-development] Anyone seen this - Vesa delay

  • From: "Zenja Solaja" <solaja@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:29:55 +1000

Morning / Afternoon / Evening.

I just came back from a month away (Thailand is beautiful), and noticed a
weird quirk with what may be Vesa related.  When booting on real hardware,
just before the desktop appears (after all boot-screen icons finish loading)
there is a new delay which lasts approximately a full minute.  During this
delay, the actual PC speaker beeped 3 times, with a frequency of one beep
every 20 seconds or so.  After the 3rd beep, the screen went blank, and 20
seconds later the desktop appeared.

When changing screen resolutions, the same thing will happen again.  The PC
will appear as if its locked up (no mouse movement, no hard disk activity),
and beep once every 20 seconds.  On the 3rd beep, the screen will go blank.
 After a final 20 seconds, the screen resolution will change, with the good
old timer to accept new screen resolution or cancel.  Yep, thats right, even
the timer got suspended for a full minute while waiting for the video card
to respond.

I have an nVidia 8800GT, Vesa driver.  Before I went on a vacation a month
ago, this behaviour wasn't happening.  Latest revision displays this
weirdness.  I have noticed that some work has been done with the Vesa driver
to allow dynamic updates without reboots.

Has anyone seen this before?