[haiku-development] Re: Alternative implementation of subpixel rendering

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 01:11:36 +0100

Le 24 nov. 2010 à 23:42, Claudio Leite a écrit :

> * Cian Duffy (myob87@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>> The parents have expired and the Freetype subpixel rendering was enabled in
>> trunk builds of Haiku within days of this happening
>
> According to this:
>
>       http://david.freetype.org/cleartype-patents.html
>
> the patents for ClearType are valid until 2018-2019. The patents that
> expired in May were those relating to hinting:
>
>       http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

Couldn't care less sorry, in Europe software patents do not exist.
Well they do but they are illegal.

I'd really like to drop this --include-patented-code as it's not the
developer's duty to check for patented code in insane countries, but that of a
(highly expensive btw) lawyer paid by those who care about complying with
counterproductive laws.
There is no reason we should facilitate their job or even worse do it
incorrectly and get sued back for this.
And there is no reason to show signs of endorsement of this software patent
absurdity.

François.