[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 17:42:50 -0400

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are no default Opt symbols!  I've grown used to having things like
> the '£' sign available, but those vanish if I select American.
> OTOH, with that I get two Ctrls, two Cmds, and two Opts, in places
> that correspond to what I see on the physical K/B.

The American keymap is a US ASCII only keymap at this point. There are
no special keys defined. I am refactoring things now to support the
AltGr key for a while now. This brings up a good point though. If
option is reused for system wide shortcuts like Windows then how are
people without an AltGr key going to be able to access special keys?
The option layer seems like the logical choice, but, then conflicts
would happen between the option map and system shortcuts. Do we make
an exception for US-ASCII that the special keys going in option but in
other layouts with an AltGr key they go in AltGr?

To me there seems to be no solution other than to allow option to be
used for additional special key combos. At least in the US map. But
since this means we can't rely on those keys anymore we have to also
allow the option map to be used for special characters on the
International maps as well.

> If I start from "US International", there is no way that I can drag things
> around to get a similar arrangement.
> (The User Guide says that a left-click-drag should copy -- rather than
> swapping -- a key, but that doesn't happen.)

I am not sure what it says in the User guide but I know there are
several bugs reassigning keys from Keymap for sure. A left click IMHO
should always swap since a copy or move would be destructive. It has
been suggested that to overwrite you could either right click the key
and select an option from a pop-up list, or drag and drop from
Character Map.

John Scipione