[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:00:53 +0300

2012.03.30 01:47, Starsseed rašė:
From: "John Scipione" <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
Unfortunately the Alt and AltGr keys are assigned to Command, not
Option so AltGr might even be actively confusing. I like the idea of
calling the map shift-level-3. That is unambiguous.

Well, if <AltGr> allows an access to a layer, don't forget that it should
be handled in a specific way : if <AltGr>+<Key> has no correspondences,
the <AltGr> key should FALL-BACK to the <Alt> key.
For instance, with the french "azerty" keyboard, <AltGr>+<T> should be
equivalent to <Alt>+<T>
This way you don't loose the second <Alt> key.

I don't know where you got that idea from but it certainly does not work that way in Windows. And if it did, it would hurt consistency. I don't think falling back to Alt this is a good idea.

From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
The idea of the extra AltGr modifier is (for French keyboard, at least) :
* Ctrl key is used to enter control characters, from Ctrl + A = ASCII
code 1 to Ctrl + Z = ASCII code 26, IIRC. These are technically regular
ASCII characters.

it's usually handled by the Terminal applications as it's a specific behavior of
text-based-command-line applications.

Well, positions of A and Z may differ on different layouts. But I agreee – I think it's Terminal's job to translate <Ctrl>+Z to ^Z.

...For example, I could see Ctrl+space being used for
non-breakable space.

Once again, it's a (word processors) specific behavior.
However with <Shift>+<AltGr>+<Space> you can map <Space>,
<UnbreakableSpace>, <ThinSpace> and <UnbreakableThinSpace>
(I tried to add this to the french keymap some time ago but it was "hanging" the input server and crashing the clients - even if the clients applications were able to handle theses characters well, when reading them from a file. May be
I'll try to add it again...one day)

Be careful with this. I've mapped NBSP to the AltGr layer of Lithuanian keymaps, and now often end up entering NBSP instead of an ordinary space when programming. And then I get errors that I don't understand because the character is invisible. :)

Rimas