[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 15:52:42 +0300

2012.04.01 15:41, Axel Dörfler rašė:
On 04/01/2012 02:35 PM, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
Perhaps the standard US keymap should be the default when booting? I
hadn't noticed until yesterday that current default is US international.
I think this is more confusing than beneficial.

I dunno; the number of people using the standard keymap should be quite low (likely just a few hundred millions ;-)) compared to those needing to write other characters.

Those needing other characters usually use other keymaps.

You can even select a different keymap during installation, and the international one should be much more helpful for most people.

Hardly... I would have to know which sequence to use for accented characters, and I doubt many people would know that beforehand.

Since you didn't even notice until yesterday, it doesn't seem to be a big deal, does it?

First, I've always been booting from a USB stick, which doesn't ask me about anything on boot. Second, choosing a Lithuanian keymap is one of the first things I usually do anyway, so it wasn't a big deal for me, no. But it seems to be quite a problem for people who use standard QWERTY keyboards and then figure out at some point that they can't enter characters like ~ as usual (see https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2241).

I think the US standard keymap should be the default.

As for international users, I think the system asks a few locale-related questions if booting from a CD, doesn't it? I would suggest to extend this to also ask about the keymap, problem solved.

By the way, is there a way to trigger that dialog when booting from a USB drive (or to make the boot filesystem read only)? I'm a bit annoyed that I have to re-set my settings each time I install a new nightly, because it overwrites what I already have set.

Rimas