[haiku-development] Re: Ada Compiler?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 01:14:25 -0400

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Patrick Kelly<kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh yes I wasn't suggesting Haiku break binary compatibility with BeOS.
> I was merely questioning why supporting Ada would be any different
> given GCCv2 and GCCv4.

Sorry I guess we sort of got off on a tangent. Adrien (PulkoMandy) was
just saying that it might be tricky to support Ada with both GCC2 and
GCC4 because of the aforementioned binary compatibility issues. But
since as you say there is no need for backwards compatibility for Ada,
it makes sense just to make Ada work only with our GCC4 toolchain. But
then ad Adrien said that means Ada developers might struggle with the
same issues as Haiku GCC4 developers: APIs that break.

I hope that sums it up.

Still at the end of the day if you want Ada support in Haiku you will
need to do the work yourself to add it. At this point we don't have
the resources to support languages that are not C or C++. There is
also no guarantee that it will get added to the core Haiku install
even once you've done the work.

--
Regards,
Ryan