[haiku-development] Re: Ada Compiler?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:43:52 +0200

On 2009-09-08 at 02:22:20 [+0200], Jack Small <jaxs@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> Like all languages we can bring something unique to Haiku.  The absolute
> last thing I want to do is start any conflict about who has the biggest
> syntax.  In fact all I really want is to avoid any disparity while
> maximizing choices.
>
> This isn't something that needs to be decided right now.  However after
> R1 a decision on this needs to be made one way or another. If Haiku will
> only ever support C++ we need to know that now.

I cannot contribute to the technical side of the discussion, but your view
on the Haiku developer team is flawed. The simple fact is that something
like an alternative C API will happen when someone does that work. It would
be reasonable if for example I, as one of the core Haiku developers
involved in the Interface Kit and the app_server, would say that I will
most likely never work on something like this. I can speak for myself based
my own interests and abilities only. That does not mean that someone else
(maybe you?) will not come along and do this work. This is the whole open
project problem where some people make the distinction of "us versus them".
This distinction is completely based on your own personal feeling, it
doesn't have anything to do with the reality. The reality is that anyone
can become a Haiku developer and can work on anything he likes and
influence the project in the direction he likes. Of course it has to be
compatible with the direction of the project as the majority of the current
project members feel comfortable with. So in that sense, it may or may not
require some discussion or meet some resistance (personally, I wouldn't be
qualified to discuss about the merrits of supporting other language
bindings, though). So I hope you understand why the sentence "If Haiku will
only ever support C++ we need to know that now." does not really make
sense. There is no authority here that can decide or foretell this. The
current project members may or may not have an opinion, but really, it
boils down to who joins the project, what stuff he starts working on and
his output. Historically, there have been quite a few suggestions in the
form of "if you do this, you will gain that". You may steer the interest of
someone, but at the end of the day, what matters is people taking on the
work. Most Haiku developers have their plates more than full anyway, and
have their own perfectly valid sorting of their respective TODO list... :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan