[haiku-development] Re: Ada Compiler?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 17:50:08 -0400

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Patrick Kelly<kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not entirely correct. Haiku promised Binary compatibility with BeOS.
> The issues with using GCCv4, is that there is still Source
> compatibility, but no more Binary.

Exactly, GCC4 is not binary compatible with GCC2 and since we are
talking about binary compatibility GCC4 is not something Haiku has to
worry about when promising binary compatibility with BeOS.

Further there are new APIs introduced with Haiku (GUI layout
management for example) that will not be used in BeOS programs and
therefore are again not part of our concern over binary compatibility.

> If you need an example, I'd suggest
> checking out some of the AROS mailing lists, they'd be happy to
> explain in full detail. Compatibility between major versions has to do
> more with not caring about backwards compatibility. API's are changed
> (mangled as you said) rather than added.

By name mangling I meant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_mangling

If you read the above you can see in the "How different compilers
mangle the same functions" section that the name mangling used by GCC
3.x and 4.x is different than that used by GCC 2.9x. Maybe you already
know this, but I'm not sure based on your emails.

I will take a look at the AROS mailing list as there is always
something useful to learn from other projects. But I think the Haiku
binary compatibility issue has been pretty well thought out.

--
Regards,
Ryan