[haiku-development] Re: Access Control Lists

  • From: PHilip RUshik <prushik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:40:23 -0400

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Daniel Dean <dhdean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This may sound like a naive question but is there any interest in
> optimizing Haiku as a single-user system?  Is there any advantage to
> single-user other than permissions irreverance?
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Janito Ferreira Filho <jvffprog@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> is it okay if I say in my application that ACL probably won't be
> >> implemented
> >> because Haiku doesn't have full multi-user support? Thanks,
> >
> > Haiku doesn't have ACLs so you cannot really implement it, anyway.
> > Besides in ext2/3/4 ACLs are implmented using system level xattrs IIRC,
> > and Linux ACLs probably won't be compatible with those that will be
> > used in Haiku anyway.
> >
> > Bye,
> >   Axel.
> >

> --

I love the fact that it is single-user, no one else ever touches my
computer, and most other people I know that use windows use only one user.
In Linux I have to type sudo about 700 times a day, I configured visudo so
that I never need to enter a password, but it is still annoying. So yes,
there is some interest. I do realize that Haiku being multi-user would open
up lots of new possibilities, and thats probably the direction that it needs
to be going, but I like single-user.
I am interested in single-user, many others will not share my opinion
though.

 -PHilip RUshik