[haiku-development] Re: Access Control Lists

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:12:08 -0400

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:08 PM,  <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Security I see as separate from multi-user.  Certainly we need protection
> from malicious remote access, but Haiku/BeOS already has that, no?
> And if someone's using a Haiku laptop for sensitive stuff, I guess there
> ought to be a way of password-protecting all access to data on it, but
> I don't want that inflicted on me (except where I might keep a bank
> password or something).

Currently Haiku has no real protection in this respect since by
definition all processes run as the single superuser. As a
consequence, a browser or other exploit pretty much has full control
over the system since there is no privilege separation whatsoever. The
necessary frameworks to provide security / safety by dropping
privileges on processes in order to constrain the damage they can do
(aka sandboxing) is pretty much the same work that needs to be done in
order to support multiuser. As a consequence they're not really
separate at all.

Regards,

Rene