[haiku-development] Re: Access Control Lists

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 14:08:24 -0700

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 10:40:23AM -0400, PHilip RUshik wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Daniel Dean <dhdean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > This may sound like a naive question but is there any interest in
> > optimizing Haiku as a single-user system?  Is there any advantage to
> > single-user other than permissions irreverance?
> >

> I love the fact that it is single-user, no one else ever touches my
> computer, and most other people I know that use windows use only one user.
> In Linux I have to type sudo about 700 times a day, I configured visudo so
> that I never need to enter a password, but it is still annoying. So yes,
> there is some interest. I do realize that Haiku being multi-user would open
> up lots of new possibilities, and thats probably the direction that it needs
> to be going, but I like single-user.
> I am interested in single-user, many others will not share my opinion
> though.

Count me as another who is seriously underwhelmed by the idea of
multi-user.  Virtually every (non-server) machine I've ever worked on
has been pretty much single-user.  For the student machines (Windows)
in the teaching lab at UCB, it was useful to have an admin level, but
the students themselves didn't have individual accounts -- they just
started up the machine and it would log them into the student account
automatically.

My home Linux machine is also of course set up to log me in automatically
(with a firewall against outside access), but it doesn't get turned on
nearly as much as my BeOS one, partly because the multi-user-ness gets
in the way.

The trend seems to be to smaller, personal, machines, anyway. (Possibly
with a lot of apps hived off to a central server somewhere, but myself
I'm not too keen on that idea, either!)

Security I see as separate from multi-user.  Certainly we need protection
from malicious remote access, but Haiku/BeOS already has that, no?
And if someone's using a Haiku laptop for sensitive stuff, I guess there
ought to be a way of password-protecting all access to data on it, but
I don't want that inflicted on me (except where I might keep a bank
password or something).

Seems to me, when looking to the future, we should be thinking about
better *personal* interaction (iPad?).  I'd imagine that in a few
years any OS without multitouch will be seen as terribly old-fashioned...

                -- Pete --