[haiku-development] Re: ATA stack testing

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 09:57:40 +0200

On 2009-05-02 at 09:37:27 [+0200], Marcus Overhagen
<marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Has this changed with the recent modifications?

My main Haiku machine does not boot anymore when the ATA stack is
installed. It worked ok "a few revisions" before, although it uses SATA in
any case. It has a CD-ROM drive attached to the Marvel IDE chip, but the
harddisk always used SATA. Now I have to revert to the old IDE stack to be
able to boot. With ATA, it just keeps sitting at the disk icon for ever.
When I hit F12, I'm in the idle thread. When I enable on-screen debug
output, the system completely locks up before showing any output, the
screen stays at the state where no icon has lit up yet. Any way I can help
track this down? If you have specific revisions that could have caused
this, please tell. I did always try with completely clean builds.

> > No worries, I'm just a bit busy again (it's on and off lately). I will
> > continue with the rework then, moving your changes into a new
> > ata_adapter.
> I have made some additional fixed, including a cleaner separation of
> older ide from newer ata code. I hope it's much more relyable now.
>
> Is it still working for you?

On the same system, I was able to boot from CD (Wednesday night, need to
try it with current rev), and it was much faster now. However, it doesn't
boot as is, I have to disable "IDE DMA" in the menu. Then it boots,
although pretty slow, with about one disk access per second. It probably
booted in about 5 to 10 minutes, didn't watch closely. When I didn't
disable DMA, but enabled debug output, I could see that DMA transfers timed
out all the time, ie the system was aware of the error. Would be cool if it
automatically reverted to PIO mode in this case.

Best regards,
-Stephan