[haiku-development] ALI 5451 audio driver

  • From: Krzysiek Ćwiertnia <krzysiek.bmkx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:43:31 +0100

Hello all,

I've written an ALI 5451 audio driver for new Haiku's multi audio. You
can find it attached to a ticket right here:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5066.

What does work:
 - playback, tested with 16bit format, with sample rate range from 8 to 48kHz
 - recording, fixed at 48kHz 16 bit (read below)
 - controlling some mixers, input selector, etc.

What doesn't:
 - 8bit sample formats, but I suspect that media add-on/kit haven't
that implemented yet, need to check that.
 - recording done with sample rates other than 48kHz sounds really
bad, probably similiar to that: http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3053. I
read in documentation for similar chip (trident 4dwave), that the
recording is internally fixed at 48kHz and is just down sampled for
convenience, if some other sample rate (format) is selected.

And now the worst (for me that is): license. I licensed my code on
MIT, but here I'm not really sure. For most part I've written the
driver by myself, but of course I used some ideas from other Haiku
drivers. Also, I used Alsa driver for reference, because I couldn't
find documentation for this chip.
I reused 2 things: whole file "queue.h" for linked lists (which has
it's own license in header), and memory management functions written
by Jérôme Duval (giving him credit - see file "util.c").
If you find something I need to change, please let me know.

And of course, I tried to comply with Haiku's coding guidelines, but
as my style is quite different I had a rough time here and may have
overlooked something :)

Greets,
Krzysiek Ćwiertnia