[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:59:16 -0800

Hallo Ingo,

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 2009-12-02 at 18:54:23 [+0100], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My number one preference would be to use title case on the set of
specifically-defined GUI elements that equate to titles (i.e., title
bar, tab titles, group box/frame titles, column headings, etc.) and use
normal case for the rest. I think this would both be linguistically
sound and would provide consistency as well.

The problem with title case is that there apparently isn't one title case.
The styles not only vary from country to country -- that could be dealt with via different rules for the respective locales -- but within a country it depends on the organization you ask. Quoting Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_case#Headings_and_publication_titles):

<snip>

In such cases, I would consult what could be considered an authoritative reference on the topic. According to the Basic Manual of Style from a Random House English dictionary (which is all I have at hand), the main words of titles (i.e., nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs) should be capitalized; this is in line with the Oxford Manual of Style that you referred to. Being that both Random House ("the world's largest English-language general trade book publisher" according to Wikipedia) and Oxford make the same recommendation, I think this would be a good reference to follow.

When locale-specific differences appear (for English or any other language for that matter), I would just let the translators deal with those as localization issues.

Cheers!

Jorge/aka Koki