[haiku-development] Re: 32bit-wchar_t branch has been merged into trunk - full rebuild necessary

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 20:50:37 +0200

On 2009-07-07 at 19:44:22 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 12:36:57 +0200
> > Von: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > I have just merged the work on wchar_t (and some more) into r31443 of the
> > trunk, as a
> > result you need to update to that or a later revision and then rebuild
> > everything,
> > i.e. the buildtools and haiku itself.
> >
> > Please tell if you encounter any peculiarities.
>
> Subversion doesn't work out of the box anymore. It is linked against
> "libiconv.so.2", but the library is installed only as "libiconv.so". Adding a
> symlink solves the problem. Tested under gcc4/gcc2 hybrid, but I guess it's a
> universal problem with the new libiconv package.

Yes, it doesn't contain any shared library anymore, such that the other one
(from /system/lib) is found, but that one has no version spec links with it,
nor does it actually work (since I have missed that several of our internal
code contains WCHAR_T size definitions in their config.h).

I have tried to rebuild the libiconv optional package with those shared
libraries, but so far failed to do so - libtool insists on not being able to
create shared libraries. Maybe that has something to do with the runtime_loader
problems that I've mentioned earlier today ...

Anyway, as I find it cumbersome that we provide a system-libiconv.so and an
optional package, too, I am currently upgrading the internal libiconv to the
current version and make it support being relocated in the filesystem (which
AFAICS is the reason why the optional package has been created in the first
place).

Naturally, this will not solve the problem of the optional packages that depend
on libiconv.so.2. I have no idea where the .2 is coming from, actually, as the
current version of libiconv is 1.13 !?! Well, I guess we have to keep the
symlink until all such optional packages have been fixed.

cheers,
        Oliver