[haiku-development] Re: 32bit-wchar_t branch has been merged into trunk - full rebuild necessary

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 22:58:24 +0200

On 2009-07-07 at 21:43:03 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 20:50:37 +0200
> > Von: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[ ... ]
> > Anyway, as I find it cumbersome that we provide a system-libiconv.so and
> > an
> > optional package, too, I am currently upgrading the internal libiconv to
> > the
> > current version and make it support being relocated in the filesystem
> > (which
> > AFAICS is the reason why the optional package has been created in the
> > first
> > place).
>
> Good idea.

Actually, I'm not so sure anymore. I think I prefer to drop libiconv.so from
the system and switch that back to a static library (internal only, it would
not be copied onto the image). The only need haiku itself has for libiconv
(AFAICS) is libtextencoding.so.

The thing is that the locale kit is most probably pulling ICU into the system
anyway and I suppose it doesn't make sense to let the system provide both
conversion libraries. That's why I prefer pushing libiconv completely out into
the optional package (including iconv.h, which haiku itself would no longer
provide).

What do you think?

cheers,
        Oliver