[haiku-depot-web] Re: AW: Re: Progress

  • From: Andrew Lindesay <apl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:54:17 +1300

Hi Ingo;

The goal would be to be able to nominte a 'publisher' such as a software company and then list the packages produced by that publisher.

Thinking about those existing options; copyright, packager and vendor...

"copyright" is variant depending on the year and is human-readable so it is going to be hard to match into a person or entity. There may also be multiple copyright attributes which may be hard to map to a single publisher.

"packager" may not correlate to the person who produced the software. For example, if a company Foo produced a couple of java applications that were packaged by Bar then Bar would be the packager and Foo would be publisher.

"...and the repository owner as the vendor..." (some days ago) -- so the vendor is unlikely to be the right meaning as the publisher is likely to have a package in a repository that is not managed or run by themselves.

My feeling is that there is a justification for an additional field for this data; if not in the HPK* then in the application server's database. My preference would be for the term "publisher".

What are your thoughts on that?

BTW; I will be away for a couple of days - so may not reply quickly!

Regards;

On 11/10/13 10:00 AM, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 10/10/2013 02:31 AM, Andrew Lindesay wrote:
"Publisher" or "Author" would both make sense to me; I think Ingo is
questioning the need for this item in general though?

Well, as I wrote, we do already have three somewhat similar attributes
(copyright, packager, vendor) and I'm not sure whether the
author/publisher may already fit one of those. Mainly because I don't
know whom it is supposed to refer to.

--
Andrew Lindesay