[haiku-appserver] Re: nVidia hardware known options for new features (R2?)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:18:27 +0100

Hi Rudolf,

thanks for the detailed email! Since drivers usually need to be recompiled
for Haiku anyways, I see no technical reason to delay some of this until R2
if it can be done now (given you/we have enough time). The accelerant API
would not care about new exported calls, no?

Anyways, I fully agree that the memory manager should not be contained in
each driver again. But maybe you know of some constraints, that the driver
would have to inform the manager about? Like that stuff about padding and
alignment you mentioned. Maybe it is different for different chips. So we
need to come up with a negotiation interface between driver and memory
manager. I would also export new calls for the blitting functionality. It
seems too cumbersome to figure out the "virtual" (off)screen location of a
bitmap. Simply call the accelerant function and tell it the staring
address, rect size for source and possibly colorspace, and rect for
onscreen destination.

Personally, I am on ATI, so I would not benefit from any improvements you
do to the nVidia accelerant for now... :-(

Best regards,
-Stephan