[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Getting svg icons out of an rdef file

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 23:33:59 -0800

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 08:57:37PM -0700, ryanmk54 . wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > I thought that Icon-O-Matic would read an icon rdef file, but apparently
> > not...
> >
> > However, the (text) icon data in the rdef is just a hex representation
> > of the (original) binary hvif, which Icon-O-Matic *will* read.
> >
> > So -- as a service to the community (:-)) -- I present a little Ruby script
> > that converts an rdef (containing *only* the 'VICN' section) back into
> > an hvif, "rdef2hvif.rb":
> > [....]
>
>  Thank you Pete.  Your script worked perfectly.  I now have all the
> hvifs that were in the resources file converted to svg

Excellent!  Glad it solved your problem.

This probably should be a generally available facility.  It seems like
something people might want to do.  Better as an executable, though,
rather than needing an interpreter folks may not have.

I imagine a C++ version wouldn't be all that much bigger.  I just
prefer Ruby for quick iterative development.  If someone else
feels like writing it, feel free... (:-))  Otherwise I might get round to
it sometime.  Or would this make a good GSoC task?

        -- Pete --